July 19, 2010

I'm Addicted

Yep, it's official I can't stop covering things in UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel). I was watching some youtube videos yesterday and came across a few that show different techniques for turning your Prima paper flowers into a beautiful glass like finish. If you're going to give this a try, I recommend the Prima Bitty Bag of flowers - you get a ton of flowers in a variety of sizes, colors and styles.

I don't have a tutorial of my own to share with you, just search UTEE flowers on youtube. I'm sure you'll find tons of technique videos. It's as simple as inking up your flower with embossing ink or versamark and then sprinkling with UTEE and melt it with your heat gun tool. Repeat until you get the desired finish (I used 3 - 4 coats of UTEE).

Here are some of the flowers I made.

Keep in mind they do end up a bit darker then the color you start with. So my brown flowers look more like black now (as seen in the photos)

The light yellow/cream colored flower with the script writing, I actually stamped the script on there myself with some timber brown Staz-on ink and a background stamp before I covered it in the UTEE. If you are going to try that I recommend using the Staz-on so that your ink doesn't smear when you cover your flowers in the embossing ink or versamark.

I was so hooked on this technique I thought 'what can I cover next?' and I remembered how I tried to use glossy accents to cover my paper buttons from my MS button punch and it didn't really work out because the glossy accents made the paper cup as it dried. Well, the UTEE technique worked perfectly!

Now I've got some awesome custom buttons.

This one here I coated in the UTEE twice, then I brushed on some pink Pearl FX and then added one more coat of UTEE. I love how it's so dimensional and kinda pearly/iridescent.
I hope I've inspired you to try out some new techniques today :)