February 21, 2011

Make a Wish - Altered box with Prima Goodies!

Good morning! Em here with a new creation using some products from the Your Memories Here Store. I definitely went all out with Prima for this one! I couldn't help it! 


I have had this old, wooden cigar box lying around forever it seems. I never really knew what to make out of it for the longest time. After recently getting more into altering projects, I knew what I would make. I have always wanted to have a box where I could put my wishes. Slightly childish, I know, but it would be my secret place to write down all of the things I want for myself, not just physical items, but things I want to get out of my life. I can write them down and tuck them away in the box for a later time. Maybe then the wish will come true. Who knows. I just like the thought of it! 

So, using some lovely Prima goodies, I decorated the box! I first had to paint the box though. I used some White Gesso to prime the box. I used three layers total. After, I sealed it with Mod Podge. When that had dried, I took clear Crackle paint and covered the outside of the box. 


For the top of the box, I cut some Prima paper down and adhered it to the top with Mod Podge. I cut some butterflies from another sheet of Prima paper and applied them with my glue gun so that they would stay. I also added some of the latest Prima flowers that I received in my Winter 2011 CHA Prima Grab Bag. These flowers are gorgeous! I placed a Maya Road hat pin behind one of the flowers and used some American Crafts Thickers for the word "Wishes." 


You can see how I only adhered the center of the butterflies so that they have some dimension. I love doing this! It makes them look so real. You can also see the Prima Trim that I adhered around the outside of the box on all sides and front. (there is nothing on the back) I found I didn't have enough of this trim though, so I placed two white Prima Flowers on the side corners near the front to cover up my little measuring mistake. :) 



On the front of the box, under the clasp, I attached a Marious Smith Prima Vintage trinklet. These are also a new release that you can find in the Grab Bag. I did have to use my wire cutters to cut the top of the trinklet so I could wrap it around the bottom part of the clasp. I then used my glue gun to adhere it securely to the box. I really like how it looks! 



I even added a cut out butterfly to the flowers on the op of the box. Those flowers are VERY soft! 


For the inside of the box, I cut out pieces from the same paper I used for the top of the box, and adhered it to the inside of the box, both top and bottom. I then embellished the insides with some new Prima flowers and  crystal swirls. The trim is Prima trim that I had in my Steel Toe Mary Janes Prima kit from the store.  


These flowers are so so pretty! It was very hard to open the package and use them, but I kept reminding myself this was for a great cause! 



If you look closely, you can see the flowers have a glimmer to them. That is because after I applied all of my flowers, I used some Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze in Icicle. This is the first time I have ever used the Glimmer Glaze, and it is AWESOME. It took me a little bit to get used to using the little brush instead of just misting my product, but the look is fabulous once you finish!!! Totally worth it. :)


For the bottom half's flowers I used some more Prima Essential flowers in the tube. These flowers, if you have never used them are great for creating your own layered flowers with your own centers. I used some of the Prima Pearls and Crystals in Ice as centers for my flowers. I also used some of the Glimmer Glaze on these as well. A very small amount though. 


A closeup of the flowers from the bottom part of the box. 



After all of my box was decorated, I applied a coat of the Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze in Champagne for a little shimmer and shine. It also toned down the bright white of the Gesso. 

I hope you have enjoyed my project for the day and seeing all of the lovely goodies that you can find in the YMH Store!! I'll see you next Monday!!! 

I've linked the products from the store used throughout my post. :)