January 22, 2013

a LOVEly canvas... using Prima North Country

Good evening!  Emily here, with my weekly project. I'm sorry for the lateness... it has been a crazy four day weekend for me, which started on Saturday and only ended mid afternoon today. Long story short, I spent the weekend moving and hauling large items and equipment off of a farm. It was cold out and I am very sore from the whole ordeal. Due to being so busy, I was not able to finish my project for the week until today after I unloaded my car and went through some things. But I finally have it to show you! Luckily I had already finished the background of the piece and only had to add the rest of the elements today. 

I used some of my favorite items from the Your Memories Here store to make this canvas today. For the background I Mod Podged various papers from the North Country  kit paper pad that is still available in the store. I chose more blues and creams. If any of the papers had holiday animals or print I tore that portion of the papers off. Even though North Country is mainly Christmas themed, there are still many papers in the pad that can be used for other creations, non holiday related! 


After the papers were applied, I used various translucent acrylics, standard acrylic paints and Creative Inspirations paints over the papers. After the paints had dried, I added some old sewing patterns for more texture. Once again, I went over those with more paints. Light modeling paste and a stencil were used to make the little white hearts in several spots on the canvas. I traced these with a pen and added some more paints to them as well. My flowers are from the now sold out Out of the Blue kit that was in the YMH store. I created a large heart out of chipboard, covered it with modeling paste, Utee, and glitter. Once it dried, more acrylic paint was added in various spots and a black ink pad was brushed over it for a more distressed look. I added resin wings by Prima from one of the 2012 Summer Grab Bags. (there are still some available in the store!)

When I add larger three dimensional elements to canvas I generally use a product such as Helmar 450 Quick Dry, which is excellent at holding these elements on a canvas. If you don't feel it works well enough, you can always use a glue gun, but Helmar's glue drys quick and clear, without the strings you get with a hot glue gun!. 

Below are some more close ups and side views of the canvas. 

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have enjoyed my canvas today! I'll see you next week!